Sunday, September 6, 2009

Minty Licks

Marilyn Minter, you can do no wrong. I have to see the full version of this video somehow.. it's so beautiful and gross, and provokes so many senses.



I just love the idea of creating short videos to really capture photographic moments in a different way, and it's something I've been wanting to do for a really long time. When I get hold of some equipment I'd like to start a series of video 'snap shots' to experiment with...I'd like to see how it pushes my work. Sometimes I look at other photographers work and I see that there's something they do to evoke emotion and energy, and I feel like my work just doesn't stand a chance. For instance, last night I was browsing through my photographer bookmarks, and I rediscovered the work of Linus Ricard, and I just fell in love with it's attention to detail, and intensity all over again. I took the time to view his video gallery too, which I would usually have passed by, and I was blown away. Everything this man touches is stunning. Here is one of the videos I found.. it's not my favourite of the lot, but it's still pretty magnificent:



Another one of my favourite photographers Camille Vivier has also set her sights on doing video works, and although they are somewhat different, I really love the abstraction she obtains, which really compliments her photographic style. She has produced a few short (short) films that can be viewed here.

Here is one of my favourites, nice and simple:




I suppose it's not an unnatural step to take for a photographer, but I am surprised at how many I can think of off the top of my head who have ventured this way. I like the way it's going...and I'd like to see a lot more.

Here I was thinking I was just going to do a quick post on the Minter video!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers