Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Perfection

A few days ago I went to the Tate modern, and for the first time I gave myself time to look at all of the free exhibitions on all of the floors...which, given the immensity of the gallery, took up nearly the whole day. I had a really good day exploring and getting inspired, and left feeling tired but extremely happy. Before exiting, we stopped by the shop (which provides one of the best collection of art books for sale), and with little money to spare, picked up a little Taschen book called Pierre et Gilles, Sailors & Sea for an incredible £3. I've never heard of this duo, and nor do I recognise any of their work, but I'm left feeling completely fascinated by it. I'm having a hard time deciding whether it's unnervingly tacky, or pure gold...but I suppose conceptually it is supposed to be both.

With reoccurring themes like religion, commercial culture, and homo eroticism, the pair have created a whole heap of bold, heavily retouched, colourful, glittering imagery. (Yes, it actually appears to glitter in it's 2d form.) It is impossible to imagine how much work will have gone into each photograph, and I'm completely puzzled by the processes they use. On one hand, I know they are photos, but on the other they look like airbrushed paintings, or even sculptures or dolls. I suppose their work reminds me of LaChapelle, and they will have no doubt been an inspiration to him, but other than that I see it as truly unique. (Unless I just haven't done my research properly that is.)

Here are some scans from my book as I couldn't find any decent images on the internet:

On another note, I've been listening to the new Sunset Rubdown album (Dragon Slayer) constantly for the last couple of days, and I love it so much. I am going a bit crazy, and I should stop listening to it so much before I get bored of it, but it's just too good. I also happen to be seeing them on the 15th Sept in London, so if anyone is a fan.. it's a great opportunity to go see some Canadian sweetness.

1 comment:

  1. Oh fack check this out : http://www.jeff-hahn.com/folio/12.jpg it's like the same as the third pic here... damnit! Nice blogggg ! xx

    ReplyDelete

Followers